Thursday, April 25, 2013

Not As I Expected

Authors Note: I created this piece to compare the story A Clean, "Well-Lighted Place" and the screening of the story.



Whenever I see a movie and read the book they are really different. I picture scenes being a lot different from what they are in the videos. This is exactly what happened to me after I read and saw "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place". From the major parts of the scene, to the smallest details the video was very different from the book.

When the video started I instantly saw something that seemed very wrong. The old man. In the book it says that he is sitting in the shadows of leaves, alone in the dark. When I hear this I assume that he is outside and under a tree. In the video he is sitting inside of a cafe in plain light. No shadows anywhere. This bothered me because in the book this scene set a very dark tone. Watching it made it seem like any other scene in a movie.

Another major thing I pictured differently was the whole cafe. The one in the video looks very modern with tv's and technology that could not have come from the 1930s-1940s. I was picturing an old, shabbier looking building with a courtyard where the old man would've sat. What I pictured was a lot more 1930s-1940s than what the video used.

The last thing that was bothersome to me was that the two waiters were just sitting there watching the old man. The waiters weren't doing anything except watching the man eat and talking about how he was depressed and  tried hanging himself. What type of waiters just sit around and do nothing? This part of the movie just really bothered me.

The book and the movie are way different. Not to many things are like what I thought they were going to be. From the whole set to just one person those details changed how the whole story looked from my mind. I learned a lesson from this particular book to movie adaptation. Never trust that the movie will be what you expect it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment